Your safety is our top priority. We have compiled a list of resources and useful tips to ensure that your off-campus living experience is both safe and successful.
- Always keep your doors and windows locked.
- Never leave your door or any entrance to your residence open and unattended.
- Keep your keys in a safe location. Do not lend your keys to anyone. Inform your landlord immediately if your keys are lost or stolen.
- Do not allow any maintenance worker to enter your apartment without permission from your landlord. Your landlord will give you notice if repairs are being done in your apartment.
Fire & Safety Tips
- Ensure your apartment is equipped with working smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors, as well as a fire extinguisher that is up to date.
Things to Keep Handy
- Make sure you always have fresh batteries for your carbon monoxide (CO) and Smoke Detectors.
- Purchase a first aid kit to treat minor injuries.
- Keep a tool kit handy for small repairs.
- A flashlight can be useful in the event of power outages.
Additional Safety Tips
- Do not leave valuables (including keys, wallet, credit cards, ATM card, ID card, personal computer, or your backpack) in plain sight.
- Make sure your belongings are covered against fire, theft, etc. by your insurance policy.
- Report any suspicious activities to the Pitt Police.